Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Addiction

Addiction
These are more current sermon notes.  I'm trying to clear my notepad off on my phone.
It's not really hurting anyone. Pretty sure I've used that as a rationalization before - haven't we all?
1 John - be in the light, yeah  Okay, I have a long story about this book and that "In the Light" by DC Talk is my favorite song.  However, this is one of those things where if I haven't told the real life people that it involves, then let's just say I'm not going to spill here.  Maybe one I'll have the courage.
It's hurting you  I know I seldom admit it, and I think very few people look at it that way, and that it in turn affects everyone else.  
Image until its someone you know  We have a stereotype of an addict until it's someone we know.  I know someone who got hooked on a drug prescribed to him, and understanding a little bit of that made it so much easier to understand the slippery slope than just writing off "those people."
The addict has to be convinced and be willing to change.   Doesn't any change have to come from inside:
Some verses to consider
Romans 6:12-14 
Acts 3:19-20
Pulls us back from God
Romans 7:14-15
James 5:16
Accountability groups  IDK, I really think that people still are putting up a front there, and passing off responsibility on the group.
We hold back too whatever pieces. 
2 Corinthians 10:3-4
Read the Bible  When is that not the right answer?
Pray for your and others addictions  Probably again where we need to start & then to know when to take action, not just say "I'm praying about it."

No comments:

Post a Comment