Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Job Hunting

First - yeah me! I went to Curves this morning to find out I'd lost 2.5 inches. I know one down one hundred more to go, but I'm trying for steady gradual progress. Not something where I go all out for a week then realize it's for the birds and quit. And it's movement in the right direction.
This afternoon I have a meeting with a recruiter. Or a head hunter or whatever you want to call them. Everyone tells me that they are essential to finding a job. Honestly, I have yet to appreciate it. They help the companies by gathering a large number of resumes. Helping individuals? I'm not sure how they help me besides being another layer of gatekeeper to pass by to get to the company. They meet with you and then you never hear from them again. And let me not forget to add: all the information they collect. Really you need my Social Security number that I'm told to not give out? I filled out all your paper work a year ago when you called me last since I didn't move and sent you an updated resume - why do I need to fill it out again? I know. You want me to spend a lot of time waiting around so that I think you are really important.
I hope this doesn't sound whiny. It's more frustrated because I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and in the end the new job is going to come a different way so that I've wasted all this time. Wasted the time playing a game. Why can't job hunting be more honest?

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Congrats on the 2.5 inches.
    Job hunting is frustrating and stressful. It'll be all worth it in the end, but the road you have to travel to get there...
    I may be facing the daunting task of job looking (depending on how business goes in the next several months). I haven't held a job outside of the business in 21 years!

    ReplyDelete