Friday, July 15, 2011

Online Friends

I was noticing something the other day. When I talk to my friends and family, I’ll always be mentioning that’s like So-and-So said or she’s doing that as well. Everyone looks at me blankly, and I realize it’s someone from Idita-support, Northern Breed funstuff, or one of my Laura friends. So many I “talk” to on the site, but then are Facebook friends with me, so then I talk to them even more and about our lives – not just Almanzo and Rose’s lives. I’ve come to the point where I consider them to be friends. Maybe not bare my soul friends of my deepest troubles, I’d had people for that already. However, they are definitely people who I would call if I was going through their town to meet for dinner. I hope they would do the same for me, if not they are more than welcome to do so!
I did notice that this was unique among my friends. Maybe because they think Facebook is pointless. (I’m not sure why. Yes, there are a lot of time wasters there, but there’s also knowing how friends from different times and places are doing without mass effort.) Anyway, they don’t have online friends. They look at me askance when I say that I’m going to fly to Mankato to spend the weekend with people and think I’ll be safe. I know that there are safety precautions to take and that there are people out there who are totally different than they present themselves. However, why not take the chance?
Last year, I was talking to a cousin. She had gone to visit a woman she had met while playing a game online. She commented to me that it’s acceptable to talk to someone you just met in a bar – why not in a similar interest group online?
I think it brings people together. I know that one of my junior high friends had a baby girl a few days ago. I know the (now former) Swetna, Alaska postmaster’s wife opinion on the Hamilton Little League Team. A woman was missing in Alaska about two months ago, and I shared the link. A friend who used to go to the same church as me but now lives in Kansas responded that her sister lives in the same town as the woman. Small World! I had updates from nearby people what items were needed by all those struck by tornadoes earlier this year. I know that my comparisons to Laura Ingalls Wilder aren’t nearly as odd as some people think they are. “Whirl of gaiety” comes to others mind when they have several social things that keep them busy.
I just think that this is an awesome thing that people should try to experience. Find something you have an interest in learning more. Look it up. Talk to people, don’t be stupid, get excited about participating in small gift exchanges at Christmas.
I very much appreciate all the friends and acquaintances that I have made online.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotten to know some people much better online than others that I've known in person for years.
    I met a friend on a site that matches up penpals over 8 years ago. She lives in Belgium. Three years ago, she came to visit me for 10 days and was able to track down some descendents of a great uncle who lived in the Detroit area. I consider her to be one of my best friends.
    Of course, some of my favorite friends are my Laura friends and that means YOU! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! Thank you for the compliment. I don't know what it is about online, but it seems to work. Maybe it's because we meet and build around something we have in common before we see what the person is like on the outside?

    ReplyDelete