Monday, December 13, 2010

Thought of the Day

"The prospect of a long day at the beach makes me panic. There is no harder work I can think of than taking myself off to somewhere pleasant, where I am forced to stay for hours and 'have fun'." - Phillip Lopate

To Do Today: Learn how to relax and enjoy life.

I found out when I moved to Internal Audit that the head of the department sent out a thought of the day everyday. I was posting them sometimes as status updates. It seemed very popular so I thought I'd post some I have saved and those I get weekly from Franklin Covey along with my thoughts.
I find that the opposite is true for me. I can almost always find things to do that are pleasant. I wonder if this is a part of the cultural of "busyness" that we have. It's a waste of time to relax or rather not to be doing something productive. If we aren't we assume that we are being lazy. Why do we think that? God commanded us to keep the Sabbath or to take time to rejuvenate.
I'm actually not sure it wouldn't help solve our problems. What if we only worked 40-45 hours a week? Would places have to hire more people? Would unemployment go down? Think about it. Why do we have to do everything? Do we truly think the world will quit revolving if we don't do everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment